So on my development PC, I’ve noticed that it takes 2-3 minutes for the Databases node to expand in my SQL Server Studio Management 11.0.2100.60
I don’t remember exactly when it started.   But it’s been several months I think.  It was just too easy to ignore since I could alt-tab and do something else while it worked through the delay.
Today I decided to research it and determined it’s because some databases have auto_close turned on.   This causes the SQL server to have to start up the database before it can render it in the Databases node.    This creates the significant delay when you have several databases configured for auto_close.
A quick way to fix all of them at once time AND set recovery mode = simple (anything more is useless in my dev environment), use this query: